So, after a very crazy weekend of trying to get rid of mass quantities of kids clothing/equipment, I'm back! Hopefully, I can start posting more frequently again.
....The Carrot Seed, continued....
"What do plants need" printables from the Homeschool Share lapbook. They had a fun time coloring them:
For some go-along books, we read: Inch by Inch: The Garden Song by David Mallett, Titch by Pat Hutchins, and Linnea's Windowsill Garden by Christina Bjork. Linnea's Windowsill Garden had some great diagrams on plant cycles and the water cycle. It also has a great section on growing plant tops. So, we couldn't pass up the chance to grow something else! Our carrot & potato top:
|After (about 1.5 weeks of growth)|
|After (about 2 weeks of growth)|
|I'm thinking Baby "J" must have gotten a hold of these. I can't imagine they've grown that much in less than a month. Could it be true? Their pants have been a bit short lately. Hummmm....|
To take a break (and have a little bit of fun), we talked about the wheelbarrow in the story. It's shown on the last page of the book with the enormous carrot the boy has grown. Well, we don't own a wheelbarrow, but I thought...how fun would it be to teach them how to have a wheelbarrow race? The answer, totally fun!
We talked about the artwork in the story and how the author only used two colors until the very end of the book (the bright orange carrot). And, also how the author has chosen to only draw the boy and his family in profile. The boys had fun checking each page. We read another book (also illustrated by Crockett Johnson) called The Little Fish That Got Away by Bernadine Cook, in which the characters are also drawn in profile. Side note, an excellent book on patience as well!
We also looked through another Linnea book called Linnea in Monet's Garden by Christina Bjork. Then, we decided to make a little art of our own. This idea came from Delightful Learning. I love-love-love her blog. She is so inspiring. Monet was an impressionist painter...so, we made our own impression paintings of carrots, with carrots! They dipped the bottom part in orange paint and the leafy tops in green paint:
We also made carrots out of arm/hand prints. First, I traceed their hand and forearm on a piece of paper. Then, they got to paint it with green/orange paint. Finally, and perhaps the funnest part of all, they added "dirt" to their paintings with a little chocolate pudding. Yum!
We had such a great time with The Carrot Seed. In keeping with the theme of patience/waiting, we learned about Joseph this week. Stay tuned for this post!