Search This Blog

Monday, November 19, 2012

Week 12 - Fiery Furnace!

This week we started rowing the book Prayer For a Child by Rachel Field.  It ties in so well with Thanksgiving that we will continue it into next week.  I'll wait to post on this so it will be all together.  So, we will go straight into Bible!

 BIBLE

   We continued on with yet another faith building story.  Hananiah, Mishael & Azariah! or better known as their Babylonian names:  Shadrach, Meshach & Abednego.  My spell check just went crazy.  Even though I've heard this story over and over as a child (on flannel graph I might add!) it was a great one to hear again.  For our memory verse, we learned an excerpt of Daniel 3:17:

Our God whom we serve is able to deliver us.  Daniel 3:17

To start the week, we learned some new songs.  My favorite, and by favorite I mean the song that echo's in my head when there is no other noise going on, was called Shadrach, Meshach & Abednego (to the tune of Glory, glory hallelujah from Battle Hymn of the Republic).  It's quite catchy.  From their workbook, the boys colored a page and added some red paper for a fiery effect.


We talked about how they served God by trusting He would take care of them no matter what and were a great witness to those around them.  Then talked about ways they could serve God using their feet, mouth and hands.  Then did a really fun, messy craft:



Lip gloss for the lip prints!


 Who doesn't love Play-doh?  We got ours out and they made their own interpretations of the men in the fire.


The golden "idol"

 
 We wrapped up the week by making our own fiery furnace:

Painting our "furnace"


Coloring the 4 men in the fire

Add the trim!

Place in the window to see into the furnace!
Some great movies that we watched this week were:  Rack, Shack & Benny and Daniel.

 Mommy's learning moment of the week:

Are you missing a little joy in your life?  I know their are days that I wonder where mine has gone.  This simple maze the boys did this week reminded me of the things I should be doing to reach JOY.  I can honestly say that I lack in most of those areas daily and thus am robbing myself of the joy only God can give.  I saw a quote this week that I loved and thought went along well with this:  Remember the tea kettle. Though it's up to its neck in hot water, it continues to sing. 

 

MATH

We have officially started the addition concept.  Both boys did really well with this.  At this point, there is no actual memorization of facts (i.e. 1+1=2, 5+3=8) but rather to recognize that if you add the 2 block with the 3 block it will equal or be the same length as the 5 block.  This is done by matching up their blocks with the ones on the page.



HANDWRITING

This week, we worked on our G's and Q's.  



 PHONICS

 We finished up our "o" word families this week as well as read a new book called The Fog.  They have also added helper words:  we, see & no.  We'll be moving on to "u" word families next.

  
 




 Thank You, God, for your provisions, forgiveness and unfailing love.  You have blessed me in so many ways that I know I don't deserve.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment